Friday, February 01, 2008

Books Read in January

I made another discovery today, a personal one. I've been keeping records of the books I read each month for the last five years of so. And I discovered that the month of January is generally a month of rich reading; not only in the quanity of books read, but also of the quality of said books that were read. After pondering on this discovery for a while I came to the conclusion that it must be because a) school holidays and with the kids being home I have less time on the computer, I'm home more often, and I have more late nights reading books as I can sleep in. And b) as other people often go away on holiday at this particular time of the year it means the more 'popular' books are to be found more easily at the library. Now a) will be of no importance to readers here (maybe you'll have an uh-huh moment though), but b) may useful to other library users.

Anyway, books read this month:
The Bridal Wreath, The Mistress of Husaby, and The Cross by Sigrid Undset. 9.5/10
Lottery by Patricia Wood 8.5
Finding Alice by Melody Carson 7.5
Mustn't Grumble by Joe Bennett 8.5
A Promise for Ellie by Lauraine Snelling 9
The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing 8.5
Escape by Carolyn Jessop 9.5

As a side note, my grading system does not imply how well the book was or wasn't written, more of a 'how much I could relate to it' or 'enjoyment' or even 'how much I learnt from it'. For example, I found the book by Carolyn Jessop to be quite stilted in writing, and on occasions it fell out of time sequence, but I could relate somewhat to this book as I had to escape an abusive husband and fight a custody battle and still have problems with access. I also learnt quite a bit about polygamy, it showed a substantially different picture of it than the the tv series Big Love!

No comments: